more pearls than whine

Saturday, March 26, 2005

What happened to "You're welcome?"

Someone actually said "You're welcome" the other day when I said "Thank you." I noticed it because it is so rare to hear. And I appreciated hearing it. In the last few years I've noticed a change in social habits.

When did people stop saying "You're welcome" when someone says "Thank you?" The usual response I hear is a very noncommittal ... "uh huh" ... or ... "mmm," as if they can't be bothered, as if a genuine response came with strings ... some horrible consequence. It comes across as if the person who says thank you isn't worth acknowledging. It just seems odd to me.

If "You're welcome" is too formal, then what about ... "de nada." ... "It's my pleasure." ... "I'm glad you like it." or "I'm glad you're pleased." Even "no problem" is better than "uh huh."

How did this change in communication come about? I don't really know. And I don't know when, either. The problem is, when you hear something all the time, you can fall into the same pattern, because it has become customary ... the new "normal."

I just find "uh huh" a little chilly and dehumanizing.

Thanks for sharing, Lindie.

"Uh huh."

Listen to what people actually say when you say "Thank you." And eavesdrop. It should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home