more pearls than whine

Thursday, March 24, 2005

What if you couldn't see?

While I was getting my eyes checked today, the technician who ran some of the machines told me about a survey that had been done ... to emphasize how important vision is to many. People were asked which they would prefer: blindness or death. At least 50% said death. Wow. I would have to say I would choose blindness. I wouldn't like not being able to see everything in my world. The visual is very important to me. But if I could hear, I could still have a rich life ... but it would take major adjustment.

I used to play the "What if" game. What if I couldn't see. What if I couldn't hear. What if I couldn't see or hear. What would I do? (The list went on and on.) I can speculate all I want, but I don't think you can KNOW how you would react and how quickly you would "come around" and take steps to work with what is unless you are in such a situation. To say ... Oh, I would do thus and so ... is just too cavalier. There are so many considerations!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home